"Sometimes hair loss can be genetic or it can occur from a stress, sudden shock, physical injury, psoriasis, seborrhea, syphilis, a variety of drugs (such as; anesthesia, beta-blockers, cortisone, x-rays and radiation and ulcer medications), anemia, excessive dryness, fungus (ringworm), parasites, chemical and heavy metal exposure (copper is common), hormonal imbalances, systematic illness, diabetes, liver, kidney disease, thyroid deficiency, nutritional deficiencies including anorexia and excessive or sudden weight loss."-Beauty by Nature 2006) Bridgette Mars
Women go through a period of hair loss after around three months after giving birth and after coming off of birth control pills, which causes excessive estrogen, which in turn- contributes to hair loss. However, the affect usually reverse after a six months period.
For men, hair loss usually follows the maternal rather than the paternal side and hair often recedes at the front of the scalp, the temples and crown on either side or spreads out from the top. A major cause of balding in men has much to do with excess production of the hormones androgen and testosterone. Both of these hormones can cause your hair follicle to shrink. However, even though genes play a part you can slow or minimize the loss of hair.
*Sudden hair loss can be a sign of serious health changes and should be discussed with a competent health professional.
Some ways to help diminish hair loss:
- Jojoba oil helps to replenish the natural oils in the scalp. look for and use jojoba based products
- Wear your hair loose to avoid pulling of the scalp
- Including raw black sesame seeds, sea vegetables and cooked black beans and kidney beams.
- Include silicone-rich foods, such as kelp and onion to your diet
- eat the skin of organic cucumber and red peppers, which is high in silica
- Including oats, onions, nuts, buckwheat, barley, nutritional yeast, almonds and seeds such as pumpkin and sunflower.
- Drink fresh vegetable juices made with beet, carrot, nettle, spinach with a bit of onion
- Avoid fried foods and refined sugars
- Minimize your intake of alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and refined carbohydrates
- Supplements that may be deemed helpful hair loss are Omega-3 fatty acids, beta-carotene, the B-complex vitamin and zinc Beauty by Nature 2006) Bridgette Mars
Hair loss Tonic
Apply to the scalp and leave on
1 cup water
1 cup aloe vera juice
15 drops clary sage essential oil
1 drops rosemary essential oil
*Essentials may be bought at health food stores
Combine all the ingredients and store in a tightly sealed jar
Nettle Hair Loss
Apply the mixture nightly to the scalp before bed to prevent hair loss. After massaging, brush the hair or use as a final rinse without rinsing it out.
1 quart vodka or apple cider vinegar
2cups fresh nettle, washed and chopped
1/2 cup rosemary
1/2 cup sage leaf
Combine all the ingredients in a large glass jar. Cover and allow to stand for 2 weeks, shaking the mixture daily. Store unused portion in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Mix a blend of the herbs of your choice and drink a quart of this tea daily. This will help to improve hair growth and diminish hair loss:
· sage and yarrow.